Roasted pistachios, chocolate, and—of course—Italian coffee offer such a great flavor combination, and this coffee tart highlights each flavour to make them absolutely shine. This tart is made of shortcrust coffee pastry stuffed with pistachio cream, adorned with chocolate pearls and luscious coffee cream.
These are all combined to create the most delicious coffee tart you’ll ever make, and if you’re into afternoon snacks (who isn’t?) then you’ll be delighted to try this recipe.
Italian Coffee Tart with Pistachio and Chocolate:
For the coffee crust:
- 150 grams of flour
- 100 grams chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 40 grams of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons espresso from your coffee pods
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. cold water as needed
For pistachio cream:
- 50 grams pistachios
- 50 grams of roasted almonds
- 1 tbsp. pistachio paste
- 100 grams chilled butter cut into cubes
- 85 grams of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. rum or brandy
- 1 tbsp. flour
For coffee cream:
- 125 ml. heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon espresso from your coffee pods
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
- 1 tsp. instant vanilla pudding mix
- Finely chopped pistachios
- Crunchy chocolate pearls
- Crust: In a food processor put flour, butter, icing sugar, coffee and salt and blitz until the mixture is crumbly.
- Put in egg and continue to blend just until large chunks of dough form. If the dough is not set, add a little water.
- Put the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and form a round-shape with your hands.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about 3-4 mm thick and line your pie pan. Use a fork to create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 170c degrees.
- Blind baking: put a sheet of baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry grains or beans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and baking paper, and continue to bake the crust for about 5 minutes or until it is turned to golden colour.
- Set aside. Cool at room temperature.
- Pistachio cream: Grind pistachios and almonds and in a food processor until a fine powder.
- Add pistachio butter, paste, sugar and salt and blend until mixture is crumbly.
- Put in egg, flour, and rum, and blend until creamy, thick and smooth.
- Pour the pistachio cream over the cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the cream is set.
- Coffee Chantilly cream: In a deep bowl, whip cream, sugar powder, coffee, and vanilla pudding mix until stable.
- Pour the whipped cream into a piping bag with a serrated 2 cm piping tip and pipe mounds of cream on top of the tart.
- Adorn with chopped pistachios and chocolate pearls and serve.
- The tart can last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, as long as it is in a closed container.
- You can substitute any nut you prefer instead of pistachios.